Location: While the ideal location is San Francisco, we are also able to hire remotely.
About this role
Udemy is looking to hire a talented Senior Business Intelligence Engineer for our growing Business Analytics team that is responsible for providing data and insights to drive informed decision-making and improve business performance. The Senior Business Intelligence Engineer will play a pivotal role in (1) designing, implementing, and delivering large-scale BI solutions to achieve data reporting and analysis goals, (2) understanding customer needs on a global scale, and (3) translating data into meaningful insights to support decision making for senior leadership. This role will partner with business leaders across Analytics, Finance, Product, Sales, Marketing, and Content to define and measure metrics for evaluating the health of the business and ensure BI solutions are easily usable, accessible, and scalable. Success in this role requires strong skills in cloud-based database solutions, SQL, data visualization, analytical problem solving, and collaboration. The success candidate will be a self-starter who has strong attention to detail and is comfortable with ambiguity in fast-paced environments.
Here Is What You Will Be Doing:
- Be hands on with extract, transform, and load (ETL) processes to build data pipelines that support automated reporting and analytical solutions
- Create comprehensive dashboards and automated reports for key financial and customer-related metrics and trends across Udemy
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to shape the team’s BI roadmap and drive execution
- Be a subject matter expert and thought leader in customer analytics
- Effectively communicate and present to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Provide technical guidance to team members
- Proactively influence prioritization through data-driven insights
- Provide analytical support on key initiatives to drive revenue growth, deliver process improvements, and enable cost reductions – all in the service of enhancing overall organizational decision making
- Support ad-hoc data analysis requests from senior leaders
We Are Excited About You Because You Have:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related quantitative field
- 5+ years of experience as a Business Intelligence Engineer, Business Analyst, Data Engineer, or similar role
- Expert skills in SQL, Excel, and data visualization (e.g., Looker, Tableau, PowerBI, etc.)
- Advanced skills in Python and/or R
- Experience with data processing frameworks and tools such as Redshift, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, and Kafka
- Experience in analyzing trends and providing value-added insights through statistical analysis or other advanced analytical methods
- Knowledge of statistical or graphical methods to calibrate and assess KPIs. Able to set alarms on metrics based on historical variance and calculate confidence intervals and statistical tests
- Strong executive and business stakeholder communication and management, including the ability to influence without authority
- Highly collaborative, team player who can work cross-functionally while balancing multiple projects/competing priorities
- Strong verbal/written communication and data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Be self-driven and show ability to learn new, unfamiliar tools and deliver on ambiguous projects with incomplete data
- Has a deep understanding of data lineage: the technical systems by which data is generated; how metrics are aggregated; and how the resulting business intelligence is consumed, interpreted, and acted upon by the business
- Knowledge of engineering and operational excellence best practices. Can make enhancements that improve data processes (e.g., data auditing solutions, management of manually maintained tables, automating, ad-hoc or manual operation steps)
Nice To Haves:
- Graduate degree in quantitative disciplines, such as Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, or Computer Science
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised ML applications
Minimum salary expectations: $115,000.00
We understand that not everyone will match the above qualifications 100%. If your background isn’t perfectly aligned but you feel you would be a great addition to the team, we’d love to hear from you.
At Udemy, we’re all about improving lives through the power of learning. We are a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms with more than 54 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals. Talented people are everywhere, but opportunities can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by empowering our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
We are proud to be recognized for our world-class employee experience. Learn more about our Great Place to Work certification here and find out what it's like to work at Udemy on our blog.
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with global offices in the US, Turkey, Ireland, Australia, India, and Brazil. Learn more on our company page.
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Eligibility: Regular, full-time employees are eligible for Udemy’s benefit programs.
- Health Plans: Medical, dental, and vision coverage (100% coverage for employee-only).
- HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans available; generous HSA employer contributions for those enrolled in the HDHP medical plan.
- Life/Disability: Employer-paid life insurance (supplemental available), in addition to short-term and long-term disability.
- Retirement: Access to 401(k) with annual employer contribution.
- Wellbeing: Corporate memberships for meditation and mindfulness, therapy and coaching, financial planning, primary care, tele-health, health advocacy, parent/newborn support, and employee discounts.
- Education: Free access to the entire course library on the Udemy and Udemy for Business platforms; annual stipend for external learning beginning at six months of employment.
- Charitable Matching Program: Employer match of monetary contributions to eligible nonprofits and charities that carry a 501(c)(3) tax status.
- Vacation: 15 days per year of Paid Time Off for hourly; flexible Discretionary Time Off for salaried.
- Parental Leave: 8 weeks of leave at 100% pay for parents who take time off from work following the date of birth, adoption, or foster placement beginning at six months of employment; this amount is in addition to pregnancy-disability benefits at 100% pay, if applicable.
- Holidays: 11 paid holidays throughout the year