ABOUT THE ROLE:
As a Senior Staff Software Engineer on our Instructor Team, you will implement the experiences which will help tens of thousands of instructors create and manage their courses on Udemy, Udemy Business and support their students through their learning journey through new features, tools, and dashboards. Our instructors are passionate, creative entrepreneurs who want to share their expertise with the world. The team plays a mission critical role in Udemy to ensure all instructors and students have high quality experience.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Designing, developing, testing and releasing features for Udemy’s user-facing products that are crucial for business expansion and growth
- As a senior member of the team, you will be working in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment, which requires collaboration with product managers, designers and engineers to identify opportunities and implement solutions.
- You will be actively involved in every part of the software development cycle, such as designing, coding, reviewing, and test writing by different weights from time to time.
- You will relentlessly refactor existing systems to make them more robust, maintainable, and scalable.
- You will function as a technical lead for various projects/tasks as needed. This requires driving and performing best engineering practices to initiate, plan, and execute large-scale, cross functional, and critical projects
- You will mentor junior engineers to become proficient developers using best software development practices and processes.
- You’ll be leading by example and contributing to a team culture that values openness, quality, robustness, and scalability while fostering innovation.
We’re excited about you because you:
- Have a university degree including the study of computer science fundamentals.6+ years of professional software development experience, including proven seniority in your current company.
- Have experience in mentoring/helping/leading other engineers.
- Have parallel execution skills, be able to work with multi-projects, and multi stakeholders at the same time.
- Have demonstrated experience driving the architecture, engineering and software design of large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software applications, databases, tools, systems, and services using service-oriented architecture, object-oriented design and distributed programming.
- Are self-driven, own your services by all dimensions and intrinsically have a desire to get things done.
- Are a great team player since you're team-oriented, friendly, reliable, humble, receptive to feedback, and you gain satisfaction from helping others.
- Have mastery over at least one programming language (e.g. .Net/C#, Python and/or Java)Have proven experience with ORMs (e.g. Django), RDBMS (e.g. MySQL), and non-RDBMS (e.g. Cassandra). Building and consuming internal/external APIs (including, but not limited to REST).Have deep knowledge of concurrency, resiliency, and coaching
Nice to haves:
- Experience with any of Kotlin, Java, Python programming languages.
- Experience in developing web applications.
- Experience working with data processing frameworks and tools, such as Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with frontend technologies (React, Angular, TypeScript, CSS, etc.)Familiarity with container orchestration technologies (Kubernetes, Marathon, etc.).
- Experience with testing methods, including unit, integration tests, and API tests.
- Tech Lead experience
Udemy is the world’s largest education platform with more than 30 million monthly visitors. Through our Consumer and Enterprise businesses, Udemy creates new possibilities for people and organizations everywhere by connecting them to the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in a changing world. The Udemy consumer marketplace offers thousands of up-to-date courses in dozens of languages and provides the tools learners and instructors need to achieve their goals and reach their full potential. For companies, Udemy Business (UB) offers an employee training and development platform with subscription access to thousands of courses, learning analytics, as well as the ability to host and distribute their own content. Our enterprise platform is among the fastest growing SaaS businesses in the world. UB has more than 10,000 customers and serves the majority of the Fortune 100.
We are proud to be recognized for our world class employee experience:
Business Insider SF: Best Places to Work Bay Area
Built In Colorado: Best Places to Work
Best Workplaces (Great Place to Work List): #1 in Turkey
Certified Best Place to Work: Dublin
Fortune: Change the World Company
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with hubs in Ankara, Turkey; Austin, Texas; Boston, Massachusetts; Mountain View, California; Denver, Colorado; Dublin, Ireland; Melbourne, Australia; New Delhi, India; and Sao Paulo, Brazil.